FEATURES OF THE VHAS
VHAS is a longitudinal study that combines survey and biomarker methods. It uses a
population-based sample and captures a spectrum of regional exposures.
- The study sampled 2,447 Vietnamese men and women aged 60 and older.
- Participants were randomly selected from 12 communes in 4 districts.
- Veterans and former militia members were oversampled.
- The survey is an omnibus survey with sections addressing health, military service,
war-era traumatic stress exposure and symptoms, chronic and major life event stressors,
and family and social relationships.
- In the field, interviewers team members collected biomarker data including body measurements,
blood pressure, grip strength, and peak expiratory flow, as well as collecting hair
and capillary blood samples
Goal: To measure early life trauma exposure and late life health to assess life course
perspectives on scarring and resilience.